The Dissolution of Company G

Men of Company G

Last week we brought you the story of Company G of the 2nd Missouri Volunteer Infantry, the Joplin men who went off to fight in the Spanish-American War. Unfortunately for Company G, the end came for the unit in November, 1902. Colonel Henry Mitchell of the National Guard of Missouri came to Joplin specially to see it formally mustered out. The colonel offered the reasons for the end of the 20 year old unit, “Lack of interest seems to be among the main causes which has contributed to the final ending of the organization. The company has no funds and no armory and these things in connection with other factors has at last made it necessary to take the final step.” The end came despite what the Joplin Daily News Herald claimed, “Many of Joplin’s finest and bravest boys strove hard to keep life in the organization but it seemed that the fates decreed it otherwise.”

Source: Joplin Daily News Herald

Joplin Off to War: 1898

In 1898, the U.S. engaged in what U.S. Secretary of State John Hay described as a, “splendid little war.” Thousands of men from across the country volunteered for military service. Only a few actually engaged in combat in Cuba, the rest were stuck state-side in camps across the South.

The Second Regiment of Misssouri Infantry was comprised of companies from Pierce City, Lamar, Nevada, Clinton, Carthage, Joplin, Butler, Sedalia, Springfield, and Jefferson City, Missouri. The regimental headquarters were located in Carthage where it was designated, “Second Regiment of the Missouri National Guard.” The regiment then mobilized at Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis on May 6, 1898, and were mustered into service a few days later. The total strength of the regiment when mobilized was 1,031 officers and men.

Shortly thereafter, the regiment was sent to Chickamuaga, Georgia, and was brigaded with the Ninth Pennsylvania and the First New Hampshire in the Third Brigade, Third Division, First Army Corps. At this time the regiment’s strength increased to 1, 337 officers and men.

Lytle Depot near Chickamauga, Georgia, where Company G was located.

Company G was from Joplin and was made up of the following officers and men:

Captain – Robert A. Spears.

First Lt. – E.L. “Lee” Shepherd

Second Lt. – E.E. Duckett

Captain Spears, Leiutenant Shepherd, and Lieutenant Ducket.

First Sgt. – A.S. Tschappler

Sgts. – C.W. Calvin., A.M. Kidd, F.W. Sansom, D.D. Watson, H.D. Mears

Cpls. – E.J. Boggs, Wm. Jones, Jas. Kelly, A.S. Owen, C.A. Warren, L.M. Ingraham, R.G. Boreing, David  Garrison, Frank Smith, F.T. Hinckley, T.F. Clary, Wm. St. Clair

Musicians – W. Axton, Ben Ebling

Wagoner – Charles Monson

Artificer – C.W. Sloan

Privates: Jesse Axton, J.N. Baily, J.T. Bean, Chas. Bierman, Wm. Botkin, R.E. Barnett, E.E. Brubaker, Jerry Butts, Jas. Clary, Will Clary, C.M. Chenoworth, E.E. Colier, Ben Cory, E.J. Crampton, Jay Dunwoody, Chas. E. Dewitt, Claude Flemming, Jason Fellows, M.P. Fox, G.K. Freeman, Roy Greer, Chas. Gould, Jas. Gilmore, Y.A. Hays, Wyle Hodshier, H.H. Hoback, Clyde Hites,  Logan Horner, J.T. Howard, Henry Helm, A.J. Halterman, Wm. Johnson, R.E. Jones, C.D. Johnson, Jos. Jirauch, S.H. Jones, Fred Kinner, Fred Kerr, Lester Loy, Walter Laud, A.O. Lanyan, H.H. Lewis, Jeff D. Long, Dennis Landon, Harley McCullough, Percy Mylius, L.R. Nugent, J.E. Nischwitz, H.W. Neff, Otto Nickoleson, Norton Oliver, Harry Plimmer, J.D. Penrose, Frank Reha, C.J. Rhoads, Wm. F. Rice, Chas. E. Rice, Thomas Rogers, E.S. Riseling, H.W. Ryan, J.E. Smith, Chas. Shafer, Henry Saulesbury, C.V. Spyres, H.S. Shyrock, C.H. Smith, Nick Spore, Patrick Spore, Newel Short, Frank Treganza, G.A. Thompson, Thos. Thomason, A. Woodward, Melvin Walls, Walter Wilkes, Louie Watzdorf, and Geo. Zietler.

Company G - click to access larger version.

The regiment suffered one fatality: Private E.E. Brubeker died September 20, 1898 of typhoid fever.

C.W. Hudson and George M. Eckhart were transferred to the Hospital Corps and Walter Ladd was discharged for disability.

Below are more photographs of life in the camp where Company G was located:

The Mule Corral

The American Tobacco Company arrived in camp to offer "the boys" some "Battle Ax" and "Dukes Mixture" tobacco.

Sunday Morning Inspection

The Guard House with the men entrusted with guarding the encampment.

Some prisoners at the Guardhouse, hopefully none from Company G.

Source: History of the Second Regiment