While it is debatable when the first photograph was taken in Joplin, one argument stands for a portrait taken by G.W. Phillips in his New Blue Gallery, located near to the post office in East Joplin in July, 1873. Phillips’ studio may at least be the first photo studio opened in the newly established mining town. Featured in the photograph are Nina and Della Chattelle and D.K. Wenrich. In addition to the honor of being his first patrons, the girls might have even gotten a discount, as Phillips was boarding at their home at the time.